Sunday, February 25, 2007

An Aged Mentality


When I speak to others my age I'm intrigued...intrigued by how different I can feel from my peers. I'm 121-years-old give-or-take...not in experience, mind you, but in mentality. I have this newly emerging need to experience the world...as though "old age" is soon to lay claim to my life. My desire to know the world is not the atypical "searching" that occurs in many at my age...as they backpack across Europe for a few months...hit-up some new dope...or shack-up with random partners, all in an attempt to "find" one's self. As a man on his metaphorical death bed, I can tell you that worldly distractions are of no interest to me...but rather, my interests lie in learning all I can about life...while I still have time. This old age mentality makes exploring the world a pressing necessity...post haste.

Now, I've attempted to explain this notion of mine on various occasions...and most cohorts fail to recognize my meaning of "searching" the world. Some will undoubtedly spout words of affirmation in response to my recognition that "life's too short"...but they do so for their own reasons...because to many, "youth" is an excellent excuse for whittling away time in "experiences"...new experiences...fun experiences...stupid-pointless-drunken experiences...since all is fair game when you're young...the "boys will be boys" defense. I'm not that person...I never was. Besides, I need no more excuses than I already have. I don't want to wander aimlessly, drink myself stupid, and migrate senselessly between shallow relationships...I want to escape the stigmas of youth...I want to gain knowledge...real world knowledge...the kind no one knows until they've seen it with their own eyes or felt it within them.

-Brady

1 comment:

Tricia said...

I don't have anything to comment on this post, but it's been over a month now mister and I keep returning in the expectation that I'll find something new waiting. But no. I hope all is well :)